Murray (Plymouth) Ltd is committed to protecting and respecting any personal information that you share with us.
The following companies are trading divisions of Murray (Plymouth) ltd.
- Murray Volkswagen Plymouth
- Murray Volkswagen Newton Abbot
- Murray Skoda Newton Abbot
- Murray Skoda Plymouth
- Ivybridge Motors
- Murray TPS LLP
This statement describes what types of information we collect from you, how it is used by us, how we share it with others, how you can manage the information we hold, how you can contact us and what to do if you are unhappy with the way in which we have collected, shared or used your personal data.
We will always give you the option not to receive marketing communications from us. We will never send you unsolicited 'junk' email or communications or share your data with anyone else who might. We do not sell your information to third parties, but we do work closely with selected partners who help us to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us. For example, Volkswagen UK.
The contents of this statement may change from time to time so you may wish to check this page occasionally to ensure you are still happy to share your information with us. Where possible, we will also contact you directly to notify you of these changes.
What information do we collect?
We collect information about you and your vehicle when you engage with our website and dealerships. We only collect information which is necessary, relevant and adequate for the purpose you are providing it for.
The information we collect includes some or all of the following:
- Name, including title
- Address, current and previous
- Phone Number
- Date of Birth
- Email Address
- Work History
- Marital status
- Personal Income and Expenditure
- Bank Details, name, account number and sort code
- Vehicle information (including registration number, VIN, service reminders, mileage and warranty repair information);
- The date and time you used our services
- The pages you visited on our website and how long you visited us for;
- Your IP address
- The internet browser and devices you are using;
- The website address from which you accessed our website;
- Details of any transactions between you and us
- Where you engage with us in a business context, we may collect your job title, company contact details (including email addresses), fleet size and company details
- Voice recordings of calls you make to our business
- "Live chat" records
- Any information within correspondence you send to us.
How do we use this information?
Murray (Plymouth) Ltd will only process information that is necessary for the purpose for which it has been collected. You will always have the option not to receive marketing communications from us (and you can withdraw your consent or object at any time).
We will never send you unsolicited 'junk' email or communications or share your personal information with anyone else who might.
There are various ways in which we may use or process your personal information. We list these below:
Consent: Where you have provided your consent, we may use and process your information to:
- Contact you from time to time about promotions, events, products, services or information which we think may be of interest to you (don't worry, we won't bombard you).
- Share your personal information with Volkswagen UK so that they can contact you with marketing information about their products and services.
- Share your personal information with trusted third parties to contact you on our behalf; for example, to remind you of when your service or MOT is due
- Share your personal information with chosen partners including Volkswagen Financial Services, Small Accident Repair Technology Limited trading as Smart Insurance Services (SMART) and MAPFRE ABRAXAS (GAP) to apply for or register finance or insurance products.
- Share your personal information with 3rd party suppliers to register your purchase for warranty purposes of selected goods or services including Autoglym Paint Protection. We will only do this with your express permission.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us (details below) or, in relation to any marketing messages you receive, by using the unsubscribe option included in those messages.
We may use and process your personal information where this is necessary to perform a contract with you and to fulfil and complete your orders, purchases and other transactions entered into with us.
We may use and process your personal information as set out below where it is necessary for us to carry out activities for which it is in our legitimate interests as a business to do so.
Processing necessary for us to support customers with sales and other enquiries
- To respond to correspondence you send to us and fulfil the requests you make to us (for example: test drives, service requests, brochure requests or information about specific vehicles).
- To provide vehicle support and services (for example warranty services).
Processing necessary for us to promote our business, brands and products and measure the reach and effectiveness of our campaigns
- To send you marketing information from time to time after you have purchased a product or service from us or made a purchasing enquiry or requested a test drive, brochure or other information of interest. We will only contact you with information about our own products and services (and in ways the law allows), which we hope you will like. You have the right to object to us sending you this information at any time;
- To contact you from time to time with marketing information (unless you object) if you have expressly indicated to us that you are acting on behalf of a business or where we have obtained your business contact details through an online or public business directory. In relation to any such information we send by email or SMS, we will include an option allowing you to object to receiving future messages by unsubscribing;
- To contact you with targeted advertising delivered online through social media and other platforms operated by other companies, unless you object. You may receive advertising based on information about you that we have provided to the platform or because, at our request, the platform has identified you as having similar attributes to the individuals whose details it has received from us. To find out more, please refer to the information provided in the help pages of the platforms on which you receive advertising from us.
- To administer competitions and promotions that you enter with us from time to time and to distribute prizes;
Processing necessary for us to operate the administrative and technical aspects of our business efficiently and effectively.
- To verify the accuracy of information that we hold about you and create a better understanding of you as a customer;
- For network and information security purposes i.e. in order for us to take steps to protect your information against loss, damage, theft or unauthorised access;
- To comply with a request from you in connection with the exercise of your rights (for example where you have asked us not to contact you for marketing purposes, we will keep a record of this on our suppression lists in order to be able to comply with your request);
- To inform you of updates to our terms and conditions and policies.
We may process your personal information to comply with our legal requirements (for example to register your car with the DVLA).
Sometimes we will need to process your personal information to contact you if there is an urgent safety or product recall notice and we need to tell you about it.
How do we share this information?
We do not sell your information to third parties, but we do work closely with Volkswagen and Skoda UK. Their privacy statements can be found here;
We also work with third party suppliers who fulfil business activities for us (like roadside assistance, marketing, events and market research etc.)
We do not sell your information to third parties. However, we may from time to time disclose your information to the following categories of companies or organisations to which we pass the responsibility to handle services on our behalf: roadside assistance service providers, customer contact centres, mobility and car hire providers, direct marketing communications agencies and consultants, market research and market analytics service providers, our legal and other professional advisors.
We will also share your information with Volkswagen UK and other retailers within the Volkswagen authorised repairer network in situations where we need to pass your information to them in order to manage any request or complaint you have made to us. For example, where you need repair work to be carried out but due to your location attend another retailer within the Volkswagen authorised repairer network.
We take steps to ensure that any third-party partners who handle your information comply with data protection legislation and protect your information just as we do. We only disclose personal information that is necessary for them to provide the service that they are undertaking on our behalf.
There are circumstances where we share your information with other companies within our Group or those that we are closely associated with, for example; we will share information with Volkswagen Financial Services UK Limited where you enquire about their services through us or where you make a complaint to us and later make the same or similar complaint to them.
In order to fulfil orders, transactions, handle complaints or provide you with a service or information that you have requested. Volkswagen Financial Services UK Limited may use your information to provide you with information and carry out their obligations arising from contracts you enter into with them. For more information, please see their privacy statement.
How long do we keep your information for?
We will not hold your personal information in an identifiable format for any longer than is necessary. If you are a customer or otherwise have a relationship with us we will hold personal information about you for a longer period than if we have obtained your details in connection with a prospective relationship.
If we have a relationship with you (e.g. you are a customer or the registered driver of a leased or other vehicle purchased from us), we hold your personal information for 7 years from the date our relationship ends. We hold your personal information for this period to establish, bring or defend legal claims. Our relationship may end for a number of reasons including where the vehicle warranty or lease expires, or we have been made aware that you no longer own or drive that vehicle.
Where we have obtained your personal information following a request for information, test drive, brochure, quotation or any other information on any of our products or services, we hold your personal information for 1 year from the date we collect that information, unless during that period we form a relationship with you e.g. you purchase or lease a vehicle. We hold your personal information for this period to give us an opportunity to form a relationship with you.
The only exceptions to the periods mentioned above are where:
- The law requires us to hold your personal information for a longer period, or delete it sooner;
- Where you have raised a complaint or concern regarding a product or service offered by us, in which case we will retain your information for a period of 6 years following the date of that complaint or query.
- You exercise your right to have the information erased (where it applies) and we do not need to hold it in connection with any of the reasons permitted or required under the law (see further How can I manage the information we hold about you);
How can I manage the information we hold about you?
You have the right as an individual to access your personal information we hold about you and make corrections if necessary. You also have the right to withdraw any consent you have previously given us and ask us to erase information we hold about you. You can also object to us using your personal information (where we rely on our business interests to process and use your personal information).
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information under data protection law. In relation to most rights, we will ask you for information to confirm your identity and, where applicable, to help us search for your personal information. Except in rare cases, we will respond to you within 30 days after we have received any request.
You have the right to:
- Ask for a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Correct and update your information.
- Withdraw your consent (where we rely on it).
- Object to our use of your information (where we rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal information) provided we do not have any continuing lawful reason to continue to use and process the information. When we do rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal information for direct marketing, we will always comply with your right to object
- Erase your information (or restrict the use of it), provided we do not have any continuing lawful reason to continue to use and process that information
You can exercise the above rights and/or manage your information by contacting us using the details below:
Post: Murray (Plymouth) Ltd, 44 Millbay Road, Plymouth, Devon PL1 3FQ
Phone: 01752 668351
If you are unhappy, you have the right to lodge a complaint The Information Commissioner's Office, the data protection regulator in the UK.
Post: Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Phone: 0303 123 1113